Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My First Green Grocer CSA BAG!!!! 1st Dinner from the bag...

Wow, other than the chilly, rainy season that seems to have a hold on Central Ohio, it has been a great two days!

My carpets were crazy dirty, and I had Gerlach Carpet Cleaners do an amazing job--I highly recommend them! I've used them for years but time had gotten away from me and my carpet was way over due to be cleaned. What is it that is so inspiring about a clean house--of course I did a good dusting and wiping while the techs did the floors.... Today, I had a client for one final look on a lovely home, my client has been through so much but she has been so wonderful to work with I am so happy to be helping her, and we are ready to offer on a very nice home for her and her kids tomorrow. I spent the afternoon at a special Coldwell Banker session, with my partner Jan, discussing ideas with some really interesting agents from Seattle, WA and Chicago IL. I felt a real connection with a team from Seattle and I think we'll continue to share ideas. It was such a productive afternoon, and when I got back to my office I got some more research done for the next post on my real estate blog! So...after so much I thought I would wait until tomorrow to dig into my first CSA bag....ha! Well, I just couldn't stand it.  Alan got home with the bag and I dug right into it.

1st Week Contents--was rounded out with other states, but all USA :o) so I'm happy:
Asparagus from Schacht Farm in Canal Winchester, OH
Rhubarb from Schacht Farm
Chevre from Lucky Penny Creamery in Garrettsville, OH (goat cheese)
Lavender Honey from Honeyrun Farm in Williamsport, OH
Green Cauliflower from USA
Romaine Lettuce From Cal-Organic Farms, USA
Shallots from USA
Peaches from GA (not quite ripe enough to use tonight)

I had to use some of this tonight! The first dinner was really great and easy. Used some of what I had in the fridge and some fresh herbs from my awesome neighbor Anna...hoping you'll see how easy fresh cooking is is once you get the ball rolling to reuse leftovers and add in new items coming up with healthy meals that are easy and fast to prepare.

We started with Morels...totally organic from the woods right behind our house! Alan (my husband) found them and cooked them. The morels were large, so he cut them in half, dredged them in some all-purpose flour with salt & pepper, then sauteed them in butter over a med-low heat.  Crusty and yummy!
While he prepared the mushrooms, I chopped the romaine and steamed asparagus from the bag. I let the asparagus cool a little, then chopped it into bite size lengths and put on the romaine along with the local chevre and some bread I toasted under the broiler (remember that bread I pulled out from the philly cheesesteaks? Yep, well here I used it in a salad). I had some leftover chili rubbed pork loin I heated for 30 seconds in the microwave, then chopped and tossed into the salad. For the dressing, I chopped one shallot, placed in small bowl, drizzled with the honey, added champagne (or white wine) vinegar-about 1/4 C and then  1/8 C of extra virgin olive oil, salt & freshly ground pepper, then poured on salad and tossed.  Dinner! It was really yummy too!

For dessert I had strawberries, that I cut up, then tossed in some blueberries, and then drizzled with the Lavender Honey...I can't say enough good things about this honey! It was delicious. I'll be contacting Honey Run Farms to see about buying more from them!!!

Amy's Chili Rub: I use this on about anything! Use the amounts to your taste, below is just a jumping off point, as I really just dump this together.
Chili powder, 1/4 C
Paprika, 1/8 C
Garlic Powder, 1/8 C
Ground Cumin, 1/8 C
Ground coffee (preferably espresso) 1-2 Tbsp
1 Tbsp sugar in the raw
2 tsp salt
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

I rubbed two pork loins with my chili rub, placed on a baking sheet in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Let rest about 10 minutes before cutting. Serve in soft tacos, or just slice and serve with potatoes or rice...whatever sides you like.

Anyway...I couldn't be happier to begin my surprise journey with my CSA bag. This is really going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment