Wednesday, May 18, 2011

More on Bread....

I am anxiously awaiting my first CSA bag to arrive to really get going on what's fresh for dinner. Our delivery was delayed a day due to first day snags, but I know I'll have my bag tonight and I can get started on my creative journey tomorrow!

Ok, I said bread baking was easy, and below is a great recipe to get your going. Nothing smells or tastes better than fresh bread...with no additives or preservatives--you can feel even better about it. It makes two loaves, one loaf I use with dinner (remember I have two boys!) that night. The other loaf will be used the next night for Philly Cheesesteaks, "cuban" bread pizzas, or some other type of sandwich or used in a bread salad...I have loads of recipes for 2nd day bread--need more...just ask.

Philly Cheesesteaks: I cut the loaf into 4 pieces for the sandwiches, then cut each in half like a sub role.  I pull out the soft bread "filling," tear it into pieces, and place into a ziploc bag (tomorrow I'll pour in a little olive oil, salt and garlic powder, shake the bag, then pour these out onto a sheet pan that I'll place in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes to make croutons for either Italian bread salad, or to top a lentil, bean, barley, or bulgar wheat with vegetables for a side or main dish). After pulling out the soft bread to make room I place cheese (cheddar slices usually, swiss is good too) on all of the bread and place under the broiler until melted.  I saute onions and peppers with salt and pepper until carmelized, then I grill sirloin steak to medium rare, slice thinly.  I place the onions, peppers and steak between the two cheese covered slices...enjoy. Optional spread some pesto on each side of the bread before adding cheese slices and broiling.

Cuban Bread (very similar to Italian, but shorter rise times)
7 tsp of Active Dry Yeast
4 tsp brown sugar
2 C warm water (110-115 degrees F)
5-6 C of Bread Flour or All-Purpose Flour, divided
1 T kosher salt

1 egg beaten with 1 T of water or milk
1 C of boiling water
yellow cornmeal

Combine the yeast, brown sugar, warm water and 2 C of flour. Let stand for 10-15 minutes for the yeast to develop. Stir in salt, and 3 to 4 cups more flour. Add the flour 1 C at a time stirring after each addition until a stiff dough forms.

Knead for 8-10 minutes, when dough is smooth, elastic and not sticky, oil the surface and place in a large bowl to rise about 45-60 minutes, until doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough. Knead lightly and form into two long loaves (like Italian or French Bread). Place on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and let rise, uncovered, for 10 minutes. (In this time, bring water to a boil).

With the egg wash, brush the loaves then using a sharp knife or razor blade, make 4-5 diagonal slashes in each loaf. Place on the middle shelf of a cold oven, place a glass dish below and add the boiling water. Close the oven door and set the oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes until well browned and the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks.

Italian Bread Salad
Toast some day or two old bread tossed with olive oil, garlic powder, and salt. Toast at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.

Cut up tomatoes (don't squeeze out the liquid for this one), red onion or green onions, cucumber, avocado, and red and/or green bell peppers (optional--some people skip the peppers in this dish). Add some shredded parmesan cheese. Toss together with the toasted bread, drizzle with olive oil and toss and serve.

Of course let me know if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment