Saturday, May 7, 2011

Getting started and ready for summer!

I joined a CSA in my area, and I am so excited to get my first bag of locally grown and mostly organic produce. In my excitement to get started using the vegetables in my bag I created this recipe out of pantry and items from my refrigerator, and my husband loves it!

Lentils & Barley with Roasted Vegetables
1 Cup of lentils cooked in salted water for about 30 minutes, drain & rinse.
1 Cup of Barely cooked in 1/2 C of white wine and 1 1/2 Cs chicken stock until liquid is almost absorbed, approximately 25 minutes, keep an eye on it so it doesn't cook dry and burn.
 Heat oven to 425 degrees:
--On a sheet pan roast peeled and cubed sweet potatoes, red onion, and yellow onion tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and cumin for 40 minutes.
--On a second sheet pan roast broccoli and asparagus with olive oil, salt & pepper for 20 minutes.
Combine lentils, barley, and vegetables, add fresh chopped tomato and any herbs you would like (Italian Parsley, Cilantro, Mint, etc.).  After plating a portion, squeeze lemon juice over the mixture...can add avocado at this time or crumbled cheese (feta, chevre, gorgonzola) as well.
Leftover salad keeps well in the refrigerator and is great served cold....by adding lemon juice to each portion on your plate the salad keeps better in the refrigerator, as the acid tends to break it down more quickly.

Of course this is my take....you can roast and add any vegetables that are your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment