Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Meatballs! Lemon Layer Cake! YUM!!!


I am woefully behind here....and I will get back to blogging about my CSA bag and making dinner from what I get in the bag. I've been spending my spare time researching toxins that have found their way into our lives to the point they are making us all very unhealthy. We think we are making good choices, but are we? I am shocked at the number of additives that have crept into "food" lately, as well as personal care items and cleaners. Each on their own may not have enough of a toxicity level to upset anyone, but remember you are assaulted by these in a variety of products all day long, day after day. So the levels are making an impact on our health and the health of our families. So, I've been trying to clean up our diet and lives even further. I like to read thezerowastehome.com for ideas and to strive to do the best that I can, I understand it is so far from a perfect or ideal world, but there is so much room for improvement! I've found many other wonderful websites with information to get the dangerous chemicals (not all are bad, but I don't want the toxic ones in my home) out of our foods, cleaners, and bathroom products.I'll try to get these together for another post when I have more time.  I can't believe how much better I feel as this journey continues. 


So last night I made fresh meatballs as my younger son requested spaghetti and meatballs...odd but they won't eat meat sauce. No matter, we use the leftovers for meatball subs to change it up, and I actually enjoy making them!


Amy’s Sirloin and Pork Meatballs with Fresh Herbs

1lb of ground sirloin (Natural, no hormones or antibiotics fed to the animals)
1lb of ground pork   (Natural, no hormones or antibiotics fed to the animals)
2 eggs, organic, free range, lightly beaten
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
1/2 cup bread crumbs, seasoned
1/4 cup of organic milk
 2 cloves of garlic, pressed, OR1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1 small bunch of Italian parsley chopped
1 bunch of basil chopped
1-2 tsp kosher salt
1/2-1 tsp pepper
1-2 TBSP olive oil

Gently combine.  Shape into meatballs, I like medIum size about 2-3 TBSP. place on sheet tray and bake at 375 for approx 20-25 minutes.

Place in tomato sauce and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve over whole wheat spaghetti or soft polenta.

I simmered in two jars of my favorite organic marinara sauce (I often make my own, but only if I can find canned tomatoes in BPA free cans...so often organic marinara sauce sold in a glass jar is my base for my sauces).

Lemonade Layer Cake
This recipe is from a Cooking Light Magazine 2002. I have not found lemonade concentrate that is high fructose corn syrup free, and this is a family favorite, since it doesn't use that much I just use it, but I can't wait for Earth Fare to open in late April, as I'm hoping to find my substitute there! It is dessert and you should eat any dessert in moderation anyway. But I do use organic ingredients below where I can get them....flours, butter, lemons, etc.
Ingredients
            Cake:
            1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
            6 tablespoons butter, softened
            1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
            3 tablespoons thawed lemonade concentrate
            2 teaspoons vanilla extract
            2 large eggs
            2 large egg whites
            2 cups all-purpose flour
            1 teaspoon baking powder
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            1/2 teaspoon baking soda
            1 1/4 cups fat-free buttermilk
            Cooking spray
            Frosting:
            2 tablespoons butter, softened
            2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
            2 teaspoons thawed lemonade concentrate
            1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
            8 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
            3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare cake, place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition.
Pour batter into 2 (9-inch) round cake pans coated with cooking spray; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
To prepare frosting, place 2 tablespoons butter and the next 4 ingredients (2 tablespoons butter through cream cheese) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, and beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat). Chill 1 hour.
Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.



No comments:

Post a Comment