Thursday, April 19, 2012

At Home Burrito Bowls

I was thinking of going out tonight but then I thought, nope...I can do this. The primary reason I was thinking of going out is....my dishwasher is sitting in the middle of my kitchen! YUCK....I really dislike washing dishes...I wash anything plastic as I don't put it in the dishwasher that said, nor do I purchase any cooking items now with plastic! I want my glass and stoneware to be washed while I sleep thank you...in the middle of the night on my timed cycle for less expensive electricity! I wish I had a cleaning up fairy that visited me..but no such luck.  Also with the dishwasher in between my island and sink counter, well it is a bit inconvenient! Oh well....here are the results from me being stubborn and cooking anyway...I'm enlisting Alan to dry tonight!


So, here is my take on BURRITO BOWLS....




Chicken & Peppers
3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
Place in a glass bowl and add:
1 Tbsp of chili powder
1 Tbsp of ground cumin
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp of kosher salt
grape seed oil
1 lemon, juiced
Combine the chicken with the chicken and let marinate for 30 minutes to a few hours.





1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1/2 of a white or  yellow onion, sliced

Place on a plate until ready to cook the chicken.










In a heavy saute pan or cast iron grill pan, add grape seed oil and cook the peppers and onion on high heat to give a good char on them.  Then remove and add more oil and chicken, sear chicken on all sides then add about 1/4 cup of chicken stock and simmer for a 7-9 minutes until cooked through. To make your burrito bowl....layer the rice, beans, peppers and onions, chicken, salsa on top...and optional is to add sour cream and sliced avocado or guacamole!









Mexican Brown Rice
2 C of brown basmati rice
2 C of chicken stock
2 C of water
1/2 bunch of cilantro, or to taste
kosher salt

I cook my rice in a rice cooker, the package of rices says to bring to boil, cover and reduce to a simmer and cook for approx 40 minutes, but check your package. When the rice is cooked I stirred in my chopped cilantro and about 1 tsp of kosher salt.





Black Beans
1/2 of a red onion, chopped
1/3 of a jalepeno, chopped (mine was a good sized jalapeno!)
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 15 oz can of organic black beans, BPA free can if possible
chicken stock
kosher salt
grape seed oil

Saute onion, jalapeno and garlic in oil for 5-6 minutes, add well-rinsed and drained black beans, then add enough chicken stock to barely cover the beans, bring to a boil and cook until liquid reduces just below the beans, then add a pinch of salt, mash some beans with a potato masher, and stir, it's ready to use.

Tomato & Corn Salsa
1 large container of grape tomatoes or 2 small
1/2 of a red onion
2/3 of a jalapeno (my large one from the beans)
1/2 bunch of cilantro
3-5 garlic cloves, peeled
1 lime
kosher salt
frozen corn

In a food processor, place the onion, jalapeno, and garlic, pulse to chop, then add the cilantro, pulse again until well combined.

Add the tomatoes and pulse to desired consistency. Place in a glass bowl and add a pinch of salt and the  zest and juice of the lime.  Stir in about 1/2 cup of frozen corn and let macerate while you prepare the rest of the dinner.









My nephew now has 7 little chicks —Buff Orpingtons! They are Mac's 7 Lucky Ladies!  


This little chic is interested in the camera! I can't wait for some of Mac's ladies eggs.




No comments:

Post a Comment