Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Easy salad tonight....all from my grab bag--You can do the same with items you keep in the fridge!


This week's bag is perfect for a quick salad, so for dinner tonight...

I'll chop some romaine, and put the garlic scapes (or you can use a garlic clover peeled) in the food processor and chop finely. I'll steam some green beans (just put the amount needed on a plate with some water and steam in the microwave for a few minutes. Then,  I'll add some cubed watermelon, and feta cheese. I'll mix the zest and juice of one lemon, with some champagne or white wine vinegar, a tsp of honey, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, and extra virgin olive oil....and toss everything together! 

Yes, I love my weekly grab bag of veggies!  Remember the best salads combine veggies and fruits with a light vinaigrette, since everything is so fresh this time of year!  For example, if you don't have watermelon use any kind of melon, or peaches, or berries....just remember to mix savory and sweet. Then add some kind of cheese for salty. Toss vinegar and oil together if you don't have lemons or limes, but the citrus juice and zest do add freshness.  I keep lemons and limes in the fridge all of the time!

Tomorrow I'll make the 7 Grain mix to make a vegetarian "rice" like dish. When the grains are cooked, I'll add in chopped peaches, I'll steam some more of the green beans, chop and add, along with some chopped red onion, feta cheese crumbled and a drizzle of olive oil. 

Have items in your fridge to use....don't ever hesitate to ask me what to do with them! I can usually come up with a combination my family likes!


Garlic Scapes PF
from Becky and Greg at Dangling Carrot Farm in Williamsport, OH

7 Grain Mix ORG
from Stutzman Farm in Millersburg, OH
Note - 7 Grain Mix can be enjoyed as a cereal, in a trail mix, or as a plain old-fashioned snack.

Farmhouse Feta Cheese
from Jim and Angel King at Blue Jacket Dairy in Bellefontaine, OH


Mini Watermelon
  from the US


Peaches
from Georgia

Green Beans
from Georgia

Romaine Hearts ORG
from California

No comments:

Post a Comment