Monday, January 20, 2014

Easy Beef Crock Pot Chili

It was a cold day here in Central Ohio.  And, I spent the morning showing homes in beautiful Clintonville and later Lewis Center, and taking my son to his cello lesson in between! So, I was in the mood for something easy and comforting. I didn't feel like a trip to the store so this is what I had in my pantry and freezer to make a chili before the day got to hectic.

Easy Beef Crock Pot Chili
1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes incl liquid
1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes incl liquid
1 C of beef broth (I really like Orrington Farms Broth Base & Seasonings--always in my pantry)
2 14-15oz cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I used one can of black beans and one can of tri-bean blend of black, kidney and white)
1-2 C of frozen corn
1/4-1/2 C of pickled jalapeno peppers (to your liking)
1 packet of ranch dressing (you could use dried onion powder 1 tsp, and 2 Tbsp dry milk or powdered buttermilk--I always have this bc of making bread.)
1 packet of taco seasoning (you could use a mix of cumin and chili powder instead, to equal 4 Tbsp)
1 tsp garlic powder or 2 cloves of fresh garlic minced (to cook with beef)
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place onions in the food processor and finely chop (or chop by hand). Add to a cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook for about 10 minutes. While onion is cooking (no need to clean processor bowl) add the can of whole tomatoes and the pickled jalapenos into a food processor or blender and pulse until tomatoes are mostly smooth and the jalapenos are chopped. Pour into your crock pot and add the diced tomatoes, beef broth, beans and corn.  Add ranch dressing and taco packets.  Add onion from skillet to crock pot. To skillet add beef and garlic.  Cook through, then add to crock pot.  Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 6-8.

Enjoy with whatever chili toppings you like, here are our favorites.
Crushed tortilla chips
Shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped green onions
Chopped avocado
Shredded iceberg lettuce
Olives: sliced black or green
Sour Cream

Orrington Farms Broth Base, I find this at my local Krogers
Amazon.com has a good selection of this in grocery, some I've not tried yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment