Saturday, October 26, 2013

Garden Grill Sandwich





This sandwich is one I've been making for years.  It is inspired by a sandwich I used to order at Ohio University in Athens Ohio, at a "joint" called The Pub.  I was back recently and disappointed with the sandwich.  It was grilled back in my day...ahem, but today's version was just on toasted bread...OK, not the same. So, I think you'll be quite happy with this version of a garden grill sandwich that you will be happy to share with your family and friends.





Amy's Garden Grill

• 2 slices of seeded rye bread (or sourdough) for each sandwich
butter, softened
• cream cheese, a thick layer
• Colby cheese slices, 2 slices per sandwich
• thinly sliced cucumber (I prefer the English cucumber and you don't need to peel or seed)
• thinly slice tomatoes
• kosher salt to taste
• freshly ground black pepper to taste
• alfalfa  sprouts, optional (I highly recommend, but hit or miss if my grocery has any, so I use when I can find them)

NOTE: A wire rack for cooling is needed to keep sandwich from being soggy.


Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile butter one side of the bread slices.  For each sandwich you'll have one half spread with cream cheese and 2 slices of Colby on the other.  Spread a thick layer of cream cheese opposite the butter side and add the Colby to another slice, place the slices butter side down in the cast iron skillet and grill until golden and cheese are softened (you may want to cover skillet with a piece of foil to help cheese melt). Remove the grilled slices to the cooling rack. To the cream cheese side add a layer of cucumber, add salt and pepper, and then a layer of tomato, add sprouts if using, then top with Colby slice.  Cut in half and enjoy!  This if a favorite at our home, and we hope you enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment