Thursday, January 26, 2012

Like a Mac N Cheese.....but healthier, and no one will know!

Love my Organic Green Grocer Bag!!! I am so glad we have kept going all winter. This weeks bag provided me with a lovely head of cauliflower that I wanted my kids to eat! So the following was gobbled up and liked....great recipe for adults and kids. The sauce is creamy and delicious, the ham is an ingredient my kids love....and so easy to toss in, but you could leave it out and add in roasted butternut squash to keep the dish vegetarian—and it would be so pretty!

As a quick side note, I've also been trying to read up on GMOs (genetically modified organism or genetically engineered organism). From what I have been finding online I'm trying to avoid these, and foods labeled organic are not modified. That is the only way to avoid them currently as the US has no specific requirement to label other produce, prepared foods or packaged foods. The Meijer brand Naturals say on the label "No GMOs" so I've been opting for that brand over others. I suggest you look into these and make a decision for your family based on what you find.


Baked Pasta with Broccoli, Ham, and 
Cheesy-Cauliflower Sauce



A few TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 small head of cauliflower
1 small onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 TBSP flour
4 C low-fat milk (or skim)
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 C grated parmesan or romano cheese
1 lb of medium shells dried pasta (whole grain is good)
1/4 lb of smoked ham, chopped
5 C of broccoli florets
1/2 C toasted panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs), to top before serving...optional

In a large skillet saute cauliflower, onion, garlic and 1/2 tsp kosher salt in olive oil until softened. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of flower over the mixture and cook for a couple of minutes, add 4 C of milk and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until cauliflower is soft. Turn off heat and let cool slightly.



Meanwhile, cook the past for 5-6 minutes only and drain (it will finish cooking in the oven).

In a large baking dish, add pasta, broccoli and ham, toss to combing.

Add cauliflower mixture to a blender after it has cooled for 5-10 minutes. Add 1 C of grated cheese and nutmeg, then puree until smooth. Pour over pasta mixture and combine. Top with 1 C of grated cheese.










Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 25 minutes.

 Let cool 5 minutes, then serve.

Top with the toasted breadcrumbs if desired.









All I have left to say is, YUM! And, I betting the leftovers get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment