Monday, October 17, 2011

Ratatouille Lasagna

My kids like lasagna, and I want them to eat more vegetables. I have a meatloaf I put plenty of vegetables in that they love, so saw an idea for making lasagna with eggplant "noodles." I thought this might be pushing too far for my kids so I've gone with a hybrid of sorts.  My husband and I loved it.  The kids ate it better than I thought they would on the first try, so I've deemed it a success! The kids came up with the name and I think it is very fitting.

Ratatouille Lasagna

Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pump sprayer, or canned cooking spray.
1 medium or 2 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise in 1/4 inch slices
2 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise in 1/4 inch slices
1 large egg, beaten
15 oz low-fat (part skim) ricotta
1/2 C grated Parmesan, divided
2 jars of Marinara (I like Newman's Own)
1 lb of part skim shredded mozzarella (I like the Kraft with philly in it to melt, keeps my boys from complaining about "rough" cheese...some of the low fat cheese just don't melt well)
Barilla No Boil Lasagna Noodles
optional: 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, and/or fresh basil, chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place eggplant and zucchini on two baking sheets sprayed with oil. Spray the vegetables and place in the oven for 10 minutes, turn and cook another 6-10 minutes, zucchini will need to be removed closer to 6-8 and the eggplant closer to 10 (but don't over roast, it is going back in the oven in the lasagna).

While roasting the vegetables, combine egg, ricota, and 1/4 C parmesan (optional, add fresh garlic, and/or fresh basil to this mixture), set aside.

In a large baking dish, 9X13, place some marinara, then a layer of noodles, top with dollops of ricotta-half of mixture, then mozzarella. Add the eggplant layer, then sauce and mozzarelle, then zucchini layer, dollop the rest of the ricotta mixture, then sauce and mozzarella, another layer of noodles, the remaining sauce (should cover the noodles) mozzarella and remaining 1/4 C of parmesan.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes.

Let sit for appox 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment