Saturday, September 10, 2011

Amy's Italian Casserole

Amy's Italian Casserole

Ok, this was just a huge hit at my house! And, I used a lot of what came in my CSA bag, in other words, use what veggies you have on hand! My son ask for polenta and I wanted to get some veggies in too. And, I saw a recipe for shepherd's pie on a show....but my kids like soft polenta better than mashed potatoes.....so this is what I came up.

Ingredients
1lb of bulk sausage
1 green zucchini, cut in half and then into bite size pieces
1 yellow zucchini, cut in half and then into bite size pieces
1 yellow onion, cut in half, the from the end cut into thin slices
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 can of cannellini beans (white beans), drained, rinsed, and well drained

Polenta Topping:
3 C of milk
3 C of low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 C of corn meal
1/4 C of grated parmesan
kosher salt
white pepper
nutmeg

shredded mozzarella

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large saute pan, cook the sausage, then place in a large casserole dish (9X13 approx). Add onion and garlic to saute pan and cook for 2-5 minutes, add a few splashes of white wine vinegar to deglaze the pan and add squashes and cook for another 4-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into casserole. Add beans, and combine this mixture.

In a saucepan bring the milk and broth just to a boil, add salt, white pepper and nutmeg. While stirring the liquid in a circle slowing add the corn meal and continue stirring until it begins to thicken, reduce the heat and keep stirring often for about 10 minutes.  Stir in grated parmesan. Top the sausage mixture with the polenta (corn meal) and smooth out.  Top with some cheese and place in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.


3 comments:

  1. This is definitely going on our fall menu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's something fundamentally wrong with that. Kids that prefer polenta better than mashed potato. ♪The times, they are a changin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose but I've tried since they were babies and just gave up on the mashed potatoes....still make them occasionally for my husband and me! But I'm grateful my kids eat a fairly broad variety of foods albeit different....they love saeurkraut too!

      Delete